17 Oct 2012

(Wednesday) You lot

So me and The Wizard of Oz are supping pints. I didn't know he was scouse: "Born and bred" he says (more than once); "Made my way to Oz after I fell asleep on the ferry", he tells me, (more than twice). But anyways, we're chatting - scouse-philosophic like: and it's late. He tells me stuff I'd never heard, never even thought of. He uses words I'd never seen to explain - like "atwang" and "orlumula", and, what was it - "lackwahlee". (I've forgot the meanings, but I remember the words.) All this to tell me, you'll be surprised I know, "Today is but a weave of major industry, my son" he says. "Only a few; and then a weave of minor ones - zillions of these. The major one's - drugs, arms, food, language, construction - they infiltrate the others - cars, houses, jobs, etcetera. And, but" he says, by this time standing in the middle of the table, the pub silent to the old man's conviction, "The biggest of the lot", he swallows the pint, "The biggest", a pin drops, "You know what the biggest industry on this here little planet of ours is? You lot".

No comments:

Post a Comment